Blog & Updates
Voices of the New Consensus
December 04, 2012 - Posted by Maurice Belanger
Faith, law enforcement and business leaders are convening a National Strategy Session in Washington, DC, to tell the new administration and the new Congress that there is a new consensus on immigrants and America, and that common-sense immigration reform is a priority for 2013. This gathering builds on successful regional summits in the Mountain West, Southeast and Midwest at which nearly 450 business, faith and law-enforcement leaders built new relationships, discussed state policies and urged pragmatic solutions at the federal level.
The meeting takes place less than a month after the 2012 presidential and Congressional elections, in which the nation’s rapidly growing Latino and immigrant electorate played a major role. The impotant role these voters will play in the future has energized conservatives who understand this fact, and who understand that getting Washington to act to create an immigration syste that works should be a priority for the new Congress and the newly re-elected president.
The gathering will be kicked off by a press conference, in which leaders from across the political spectrum will call on Congress to address immigration reform and create a road to citizenship for aspiring Americans who contribute to our communities and our economy.
The press conference will feature the following speakers:
- The Honorable Mark Shurtleff, Attorney General, Utah
- Dr. Richard Land, President, Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention
- Brad Bailey, co-founder and CEO, Texas Immigration Solution
- Sheldon Brown, dairy farmer and owner, Woody Hill Farms, Salem, N.Y.
- Rev. Luis Cortés Jr., President, Esperanza
- Mark C. Curran, Jr., Sheriff, Lake County, Ill.
- Natalie Gochnour, Executive Vice President of Policy and Communication and Chief Economist, Salt Lake Chamber
- Ali Noorani, Executive Director, National Immigration Forum
- Rev. Samuel Rodriguez, President, National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference
- The Most Reverend Jaime Soto, Bishop of Sacramento, Calif., United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Jim Wallis, CEO, Sojourners
The press conference will begin at 9:30 on December 4, and will be streamed live at www.forgingconsensus.org
On the same Web site, you will be able to view the procedings of the national strategy session, begining at noon on December 4. Featured will be panels of leaders from the Midwest, South, and Mountain West who will talk about the importance of immigrants and immigration to their communities. The strategy meeting will also feature an interview with Steve Case, Chairman and CEO of Revolution, and Co-Founder of America Online. Go to www.forgingconsensus.org