BUSINESS AND CITIZENSHIP: A WIN-WIN
The Bethlehem Project offers employers a free service that helps them support their employees who are eligible for citizenship. Our business partners and participants receive mutual benefits by joining.
Benefits to Business
- Celebrates the diversity in your company’s workforce
- Builds employee recruitment, loyalty and retention
- Creates inclusive work culture and aids productivity
- Generates goodwill amid a growing foreign-born consumer demographic in a global market
- Creates positive publicity opportunities (if desired)
Benefits for Participants
- Builds ability to realize the American Dream and invest in their families, communities and economy
- Allows individual civic engagement through voting and running for office
- Grants freedom of travel with a U.S. passport and opportunity for family reunification
- Provides low to moderate income participants with access to deeply discounted legal fees and employer support
Join the Bethlehem Project
How it works:
- Free: We are funded, in large part, by the New Americans Campaign, so this program is offered Free to our business partners. In addition to being free for business, this offers free services to your employees, saving them nearly $2,000 of legal fees out of pocket.
- Easy Implementation: In each city, we have a local site-coordinator who does all the ground work for each business partner so this will not take away from Human Resource staff time.
- Customizable:The program will be customized for each business but the basic components include:
- Business to identify a
lead company contactto ensure close communication and coordination of all project activities;
- Business to offer
guidancesuch as the best times to offer the information, application and training sessions to minimize disruptions to work schedules and yet at the same time maximize opportunities for employees to participate;
- Business and the Forum to promote the availability of the program through various internal communications with employees such as newsletters or paystubs;
- The Forum to assist Business with external communications throughout the community demonstrating good community corporate social responsibility;
- Business and the Forum to plan for recognizing and congratulating employees who become citizens (optional);
- Business to provide space for information, application and civics instruction offerings;
- Business to consider supporting workers as appropriate: paid time off, a naturalization fee match, payroll deduction savings plan.
- Business to identify a
- Publicize within staff
- Information/Pre-Screening Session on worksite
- Citizenship Application Session on worksite
- Civics/ESL preparation, as needed
Manager of Integration Programs